TED, otherwise known as Technology, Education and Design, is an organization that seeks to unite people who have a shared interest in gaining a deeper understanding of our world. A number of influential business people have presented to audiences all over the globe, sharing their insights on how to work more effectively. Since we at Bizzabo are always trying to bring our readers super duper helpful insights, we’ve jumped head first into the TED Talks video archive.
Whether you’re an event marketer, the founder of a startup, or a marketing strategist for an established brand, these 5 presentations will show you how to more effectively create, communicate and leverage brand identity to provide more enjoyable experiences for consumers.
1. The Tribes We Lead: Seth Godin,a renowned thought leader and marketer, argues that we are at the dawn of a new type of brand-building where people crave connecting with like-minded people.
Godin urges marketers to capitalize on this desire to disseminate brand identity by leading what he calls “tribes.” Tribes (or groups of connected people with a common interest) are waiting to be lead by people and brands who reject the status quo. This means brands should tap into disconnected groups that have a yearning to find people with the same passion. In return for becoming connected, the tribe will work to spread a brand’s message.
2. What Physics Taught Me About Marketing: Marketing Director at Google, Dan Cobley, puts his background in physics to use by discussing how the realities of modern marketing reflect the laws of physics. He claims that the bigger the brand the more difficult it is to reposition it. Watch Dan explain the importance of measuring what customers actually do, rather than what they say they’ll do, and other key insights!
3. How to Make a Splash in Social Media: Reddit founder, Alexis Ohanian, discusses how to create a viral marketing campaign (he would know!). He uses a whale named Mr. Splashy Pants and animal rights group, Greenpeace, to illustrate that brands must be ok with losing control of their messaging in order to generate a viral campaign.
4. 404, the Story of a Page Not Found: Oops! This TED Talk Not Found. (JK) This TED Talk describes how a common error page displayed to internet users can be used to re-affirm brand identity. The talk highlights that each consumer interaction can be leveraged to reinforce brand image.
5. How to Make Choosing Easier: Have you ever spent a little too much time deciding which on or off brand cereal to buy? Which Insta filter to use? Or which color iPhone case to buy? Psycho-economist, Sheena Iyengar, explores the growing phenomenon of customers having “too many choices." She argues that choice must be managed to prevent customers from becoming overwhelmed with options and as a result not making a choice at all.
Iyengar, explains that too many options cause customers to delay choosing, make worse choices, or choose options that make them feel less satisfied. To make it easier for consumers to choose, she recommends: reducing the number of options, outlining the consequences of each choice, categorizing choices, and scaling choice options.
For more on how to become a better event marketer, grab our free marketing ebook - The Smart Event Marketing Playbook by clicking the botton below!