Tech events can be lots of fun, very interesting and bring great business outcomes. Other times, they can be exhausting, overwhelming and result in negative ROI. Many times we choose to blame the venue, organizer, fellow participants and such, but the truth is that most times the reason for the difference between these two scenarios is in ourselves – the way we prepare and the attitude we bring to the event. Here are some tips to make sure you do make the most out of every tech event you attend.
1. Wear comfortable sneakers and clothes, even if they’re ugly. If you use your time like you’re supposed to, you’ll be standing all day.
2. Carry a portable charger. Even if you won’t need it, you might be able to help someone else. “Do you need a charger?” is a winning pick-up line in many cases
3. Wear something unique so people will easily identify and remember you.
4. Buy a local sim card with a data plan. Don’t count on the conference WiFi. Ever.
5. Don’t be the first to arrive or the last to leave. Don’t worry, you won’t miss anything important and you should use the time for some good rest.
6. Use the time to meet and connect with interesting people. Most stage talks can be viewed online after the event is over, and usually are not the main reason you chose to attend in the first place.
7. Go out at night with the people whom you really want to connect with. This is where the real relationships are built.
8. Reach out to people without hesitation; you might not get a second chance. Like our motto in Bizzabo: Don’t be shy – be social! Use Twitter, LinkedIn, Bizzabo or your own interpersonal charm.
9. Remember to follow up, preferably in less than 48 hours, when everything is still fresh in your mind.
10. Enjoy, relax, and project positive energy. It’s addictive!
Do you have other event tips that create miracles? Please share with us!